What happens if your dog eats grapes ? As you may or may not know, grapes are toxic to dogs. Recently, there’s been some discussion around this being some type of veterinary fallacy and that’s why it’s important that we address What they were able, along with what really is factual.
Most people assume that all fruits are good for dogs, but that’s not the case. There are certain fruits that can cause serious health issues to your dog and grapes is one of them. In this article, we’re going to talk about grapes causing death in dogs, the signs and solutions.
How Toxic are Grapes For Dogs?
In 1989 a computerized animal toxicity database enabled veterinarians see and establish a trend. What they were able to find is that a small percent of dogs had developed acute kidney failures after they had consumed grapes or raisins. That’s a study that’s been known for the last 25 years. One thing to note is that the type of grape, as well as the amount consumed, doesn’t necessarily correlate, but what’s clearly known is that dogs can be affected when eating grapes. Most of them vomit within a few hours after consuming the raisins or grapes. Majority of the dogs also seemed jittery hyperactive soon after consuming grapes.
Dog owners can think of dried grapes as activated charoal because of grapes toxicity. A dog can eat grapes and get abdominal pain or induce vomiting after the ingestion of grapes and if you dog exhibiting signs you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Ill effects can be toxic to dogs and symptoms of grape ingestion can be seen immediately. Ingested grapes or raisins can cause kidney damage if dogs consumes grapes. If a dog eat grapes and raisins toxicity when the dog ingested it the dog vomits so you need to be very careful.
what happens if your dog eats grapes
The toxin worked quite quickly and within a 24-hour period, many of these dogs had diarrhea. They became anorexic in terms of not eating at all and they can become very depressed. They also had signs of acute abdominal or stomach pain. In just 24 hours after that, the dogs can get to the point where they produce less urine to the point they produce virtually no urine. That’s a sign of acute kidney failure. A couple of key points is that dogs that are treated early and aggressively has a reasonable chance of recovery. If treatment is delayed at all, there’s a high possibility that those dogs will die of kidney failure.
Certainty and Controversy
Researchers still don’t know what the toxin is and if it is something specific within the grapes themselves, since grapes come from all over the world and they vary based on a number of factors. It does seem somewhat unusual that it’s been 27 years and they haven’t yet identified the cause in that whole period of time and there are millions of people consuming these same grapes. But this doesn’t mean that grapes are poisonous in all dogs. Most dogs can consume grapes and they’re fine.
There’s no stat in terms of how many dogs consume grapes versus how many developed kidney failures. So we know it’s a very small percent of dogs that are being affected. Different internet stories is that most dogs can consume grapes and they’re fine, but a small percent will consume them and affected.
what happens if your dog eats grapes
What to Do if Your Dog Ingest Grapes
The first obvious thing is to avoid feeding your dog grapes or raisins. Make sure they don’t have any easy access to them. Think about areas where you might find raisins and make sure they’re not available for your dog. If your dog consumes a grape, just wait and don’t do anything about it. Just wait and observe if they have some of those clinical signs. But the best alternative is to get them to vomit to help them get rid of that potential toxin. If you’re going to be able to do it at home, it’s recommended that you have at least 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand and pour some of it into a cup. Have just a bit of tap water in another cup.
The dosage should be five mils of peroxide, which is a teaspoon of peroxide for 10 pounds of body weight daily. So if your dog weighs about 80 pounds then that’d be about 40 mils. Take a 35 ml syringe and draw the hydrogen peroxide up into the syringe and squirt that into a bowl. Draw the equivalent amount of water using the same syringe and squirt that in the bowl. Just give that in two doses and the dog will vomit within few minutes. When you are inducing vomiting at home with peroxide, you simply lift his/her head and put the syringe right to the back of his mouth to bury the back of his tongue and slowly squirt that in, ensuring that he’s swallowing each amount of it in. Generally, if your dog doesn’t vomit within ten minutes then you should repeat it again.
If you’re unsure you can immediately go to your veterinarian as they have additional things they can do to induce vomiting. They have a special injection that would induce vomiting quickly. The other thing that you could consider in terms of a grape toxicity is having activated charcoal on hand. What it does is it will bind any of the toxins that your dog has consumed and helpfully prevent those from being absorbed. There are different doses, but the best should be in a liquid form, which is easier to use.
It’s highly recommended that you shake it well before using it. You can get it from your veterinarian or from a whole variety of pharmacies. The dosage should be about two teaspoons for about 10 pounds of body weight. That’s what you would give your dog after you induced your pet to vomit or whatever toxic they’ve consumed. In some cases when it’s been more than a few hours and the grapes that your dog has ingested has moved its weight out of the stomach, you won’t be able to induce vomiting. But the only treatment you have is the activated charcoal.
Are Grapes Really Bad for Your Dog?
Chances are if your dog consumes raisins or grapes they’re not going to get clinical signs, but you never know because a small percent do. I would encourage you to take it seriously and just try to avoid them so they’re not made available to your dog. If they do consume, please make sure that they vomit or you get them to a veterinarian. If they consume and vomit within a few hours after that, you shouldn’t worry much. It’s a clinical sign, where they’re reacting to those grapes.
As you’ve seen, some dogs are easily affected when eating grapes, but a good number of them aren’t. Nevertheless, it’s good to get them to the veteran as soon as possible where they can also induce vomiting, get your dog on IV fluids to aggressively decontaminate and eliminate whatever’s in their stomach and hopefully prevent your dog from going into end-stage kidney failure by treating the damage to their kidneys.